Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

Hello everyone! I hope you are all having a overly-sweet, chocolate-filled Valentine's Day. I don't have much to share, so this will be brief. The biggest piece of news currently: my "Cat" piece (which can be seen in a couple previous entries) is in a Humane Society benefit show for the next couple weeks. It is in Poetter Hall (for those of you who live in Savannah), and you should stop by to check it out, along with all the other fantastic Society of Illustrators' work. The pieces are for sale (mine has already sold! Hurrah!) and a good deal of the proceeds go to the Humane Society.
No new photos of my second woodcut yet- I should have taken some before I handed in the project, but forgot to do so. All of my spreads for my book are finished. All that is left are some little touch-ups here and there, the front and back covers, and the interior papers (when you open a book, the inside of the cover usually has illustrations on it). I haven't scanned any of my work in yet, though!
I do have my most recent assignment from Survey of Illustration, however. We had to make a war poster, and I chose to make an ironic image based off of World War II propaganda posters, specifically ones that would read lines such as, "He volunteered for the Submarine Service" (by Jon Whitcomb), which I changed to an anti-war message. I emulated the style of Harry Beckhoff with qouache, and then edited it a bit in Photoshop. It's not really something I'm particularly pleased with, and it doesn't really suit my style, but what can you do? Live and learn! Not every piece can be a home run. Here's the image before my class critique:



"Protested" 2010, Gouache and Digital
And here's with the changes they suggested:



"Protested 2" 2010, Gouache and Digital

Which do you prefer?

That's all for now.
adios
caitlin

No comments: