Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A little late...

Well, the second quarter of my senior year is flying by, and I've been so busy, I haven't even found the time to update you all! This is going to be a very long post, so hang in there.

I started off the quarter with some really exciting news. Two of my pieces from last quarter were entered by the SCAD illustration department into the Society of Illustrators Los Angeles Illustration West 49th show, and were accepted! Kellan also got three works in, and we furiously framed, filled out forms, and sent away our pieces at the beginning of the quarter. The show just ended last week, but we will be on the website gallery, with contact information, for two years! This is such a huge honor, I can't even describe to you how thrilled I was to be a part of a Society of Illustrators event. My work is sitting on the same website as illustrators I have looked at countless times for inspiration. And there's even the opportunity of getting clients from being there, too! Here's a link to my work. I am number 21 and 22 from the bottom.

Also, my "Bunny" piece was finally sent to Hong Kong for SCAD's "Year of the Rabbit" show. I wish I could get a picture of it on the wall there, but I'm not sure how to manage that.

First completed piece for the quarter was in my Photographic and Digital Applications for Printmaking class. We used Solar Plates, which are a much easier, but more expensive, version of Drypoint Etching. Just, instead of scratching the surface with an etching needle, you shoot and develop the plate just as you would in many photo processes. I wanted to create some hand-lettering after my roommate, and fellow illustrator, Cat Fontenot showed me this incredible website called Letter Playground. I think I might actually enter them, and see what happens! Here it is:


"See Eye Tea Why" Solar Plate, 2011

The next work I turned in was for my Portfolio class. I wanted to create a children's book spread that included many images I have been tempted to incorporate into my work lately. This included anthropomorphic characters, buildings, and plants. Peter Brown's "The Curious Garden" was especially inspiring to me for the foliage. I really need to suck it up and just buy that book already! It'll be a great addition to my collection. Some day I'll write a lengthy blog post about my love of books. Anywho, this imaginary book would be about a city frog and a country frog, yes, very much like the story of the mice. I am pretty happy with this piece!


"Urban Frog, Rural Frog," Gouache, 2011.

I decided to create a challenge for myself for my second Portfolio assignment. I was inspired to create a repeat pattern to use in nurseries or children's bedrooms, but I was very unaware of how confusing and challenging creating a pattern in Photoshop can be. I painted each element of my pattern individually in gouache, and then scanned them all into the program. Following a set of specific guidelines of half-drop patterns (they are much more confusing and difficult, but look better because the repetition is less obvious), I worked and re-worked my colors, composition and sizing for my pattern over and over. In the end, I was actually pleasantly surprised with my result, considering I am not exactly the most proficient artist in Photoshop. Creating this was challenging but not frustrating, fun but not lackadaisically so. I even took the time to create mock-ups of this pattern on potential products! Seeing my art this way was very exciting. After our critique, I tweaked a few colors. First is the original:


"Repeat Rabbits" Gouache and Digital, 2011.

And the redo:


"Repeat Rabbits (Redo)" Gouache and Digital, 2011.

Here is my mock-up sheet (which the original pattern was used for). My favourite is the lamp!


"Repeat Rabbit Mock-Ups" Digital, 2011.

Although I thought originally I would talk about my second Printmaking assignment, I might leave that for another day. I do not have the scans for it just yet, and there is quite a lot to say regarding it... Or rather, regarding my Professor's response to it. I think that one deserves a post of its own. Foreshadowing!
That's all for now.
adios,
caitlin

No comments: